It's been a while since I last posted anything. It's not that I have been out of town or been doing anything too exciting, but as summer goes when the kids are home - we have been busy. I have also been on Face Book a little more lately because it's fats and easy to type up a one-liner and be done rather than to have to come up with an interesting post. Here are a few odds & ends of things that we have been doing.
- We have been spending every morning/afternoon down a Memorial Park in Pasco attending swim lessons. This has been great because it entertains the older two while Kelsie gets to play in the wading pool. Jacob & Kayla have become very good swimmers and Kelsie is becoming more brave in the water.
- For about a month, we have been going to Lunch in the Park right after swim lessons. This was a great program where kids 18 and under got a FREE school type lunch such as hot dogs, hamburgers and pizza everyday. Don't let the lunch ladies catch any of the moms nibbling on a carrot, though, or you will be banned from the lunch line!! This was great because my kids got to eat for free and I didn't have to make and clean up lunch. I got to sit and visit with my wonderful friends while my kids ate and played. All were happy. Unfortunately, the program has come to an end. So now I have to feed my kids lunch and I don't get to sit and visit with my friends everyday, bummer.
- Since the weather has been scorching HOT, we have been spending time with Kevin down by the river with his favorite toy - his jet-ski. The kids LOVE it, I don't mind it but I don't enjoying sitting in the hot weather. Luckily the river water is nice and cool.
- We have not had to opportunity to GO camping this year, so we decided to camp out in our backyard. I was afraid, when I told Kevin & the kids my idea to do this, that they would think it was dumb and would complain the whole time. Boy was I wrong. They loved it!! Kevin and Jacob built us a little fire pit and set up the tents. The girls got on their jammies and brought ALL of their stuffed animal friends out to the tent. We roasted hot dogs and made smores. And all 5 of us slept out in our two-man tent. Great memories. I think the only only complaining was me because the smoke from our fire would linger in the house and that drove me nuts. I HATE the smell of campfire smoke on me and my belongings after camping. A camper I am not. I kept having to yell at them to close the door, but I guess I do that everyday, anyways.
- One word. FIGHTING. All. Day. Long. Seriously. They pick on each other for every little thing. I am so over trying to be the referee. I just broke up a fight as a matter of fact. And they are getting worse. Kayla is starting to hit when she gets angry or pushed to the limit and Jacob is VERY good at pushing her right over the edge. She has unleashed the fury that is Kayla. Little sweet, gorgeous smile and eyes, Kayla. I am sitting here right now looking at the calendar, counting the days until school starts. Is that sad?
- Baseball. We have been to quite a few Dust Devils games. Everyone seems to enjoy them, especially the boys. The girls like the mascot, Dusty, and the silly games they play between innings. I like the Family Feast night where everything is $1 and I admit I do love to watch a good game of baseball. Kevin has gotten to know a few of the players and Jacob loves to talk to them after the game. I think it makes him feel like he is one of them. It's kinda cute.
- Running. Yes, I know that you all know about my new "hobby", but this is all that is really new with me. I started out really good an consistent, but in the last few weeks have gotten lazy and have missed at least one of my four days that I run during the week. I accomplished a 10k (6.2 miles) and am looking towards September when the Half Marathon (13.2) is scheduled. I didn't say I was looking forward to it, just towards it. Some days I think I am nuts and there is NO WAY I am signing up for that and other days I just know that I can do it. We shall see. 6.5 miles is the farthest I have ever ran so 13 seems kinda scary and mental to me.
- College. What? Yes, college. My baby sister, Ashley, is off to college (WSU) in a few weeks. Kevin & I have been trying to get her excited and prepared for this all summer. She has been scared and nervous and just not sure about the whole thing. She is the baby of my family and the whole idea of college just freaked her out. What if my roommate is crazy, how will I do my laundry, what will I eat, etc.. Kevin and I were so worried that she would just decide not to go. It was like pulling teeth to get her to go to her Freshman orientation last weekend, and guess what? She LOVED every second of it. She met some great people and got her schedule all figured out. Walked around campus and saw how great this new chapter in her life was gonna be. Since she got back home she has been counting down the days and finally getting into the college spirit of buying stuff for her dorm. It has been fun. She leaves for cheer camp on the 12th and then reports to campus on the 17th, a week before all the other students, to get ready for back to school activities on campus. I am so glad she is finally embracing and looking forward to the new adventure.
This is all I can think of right now. I am sure there are some other fun things I could throw in there, but alas, I have to go and break up yet another fight.