Monday, March 2, 2009

A New Space

I have been watching way too much HGTV, if that's possible. On Saturday afternoon, I decided it would be a GREAT idea to redecorate and reorganize Jacob's bedroom. His room never got finished when we first moved in and it was WAY out of control with toys and clutter. I can't believe what a pack-rat he is. He keeps EVERYTHING!! Anyway, so I thought it's raining outside, we are all home, this will be a cinch. We can get it all done in one day, no problem right? They get things done in a day or two all the time on HGTV and they are doing huge rooms or an entire basement, this will be easy. I forgot the fact that they take a small army with them to do all of thses amazing room make-overs.
We start by pulling EVERYTHING out of his room. I had his bed in the hallway, toys and books ALL over the living room and kitchen. It's just way too much. We all agreed that nothing would go back into the room unless we all agreed on it and I have the final say!! After everything was out of the room, I ran to Lowe's for some paint while the boys starting making some shelves that I requested.
Jacob is my little All Star. He has sports themed bedding so we kept with that theme and I bought some RED and NAVY BLUE paint. I had no idea how difficult it would be to evenly cover a wall with RED paint. The top portion of his room is red with an awesome white chair rail in the center that was custom made by my amazing husband, and navy blue on the bottom. I started painting while the boys finished up the shelves. Ever heard the term, "Time flies when you are having fun"? This is what happened to us. It was like 10PM and I had neglected things like dinner and bedtime, and the house was total chaos. The worst part is that the next day was Sunday. I HATE going into Sunday with a disaster of a house. How can the spirit possibly enter into this home with all of this clutter and chaos. Jacob slept on the couch and Kevin and I kept painting until 1AM.
After church the next day, we sent the kids to my moms house and off to work we went. We got the shelves installed and furniture back in the room. These shelves are amazing. Kevin just amazes me with his carpentry skills every time. I just gave him an idea of what I wanted and he took the idea and totally made it better. It's not even done yet and it looks so AWESOME!! When Jacob got back home, he was totally floored by his new room. He loves it and he told us how much he appreciated all of the hard work that we did. BONUS!! That made it all worth while. I still have a kitchen full of toys and books and shoes that I am going to sort out and slowly move things back into his room. I don't have any pictures yet but I will post some of the finished room soon. I don't know who likes the room more, Kevin or Jacob. It's definitely a boys room.
Good thing it's raining today, I have no reason now not to finish this "easy little one-day project" now. Or so I think:)

12 Thoughts:

Todd and Shana said...

How awesome that Kevin can do that for you. Todd's not into woodworking so I'm always in search for things that I need. Post some pictures when you're all done!

Erin said...

Can't wait to see it! I love how those projects you think will be no biggie turn out taking forever! And I've been there with the dark paint! It's a pain, but so cute.

Mishelle Noyes said...

So do you hire out? Actually I need a whole new house so you'd be here a while :-) Great Job though! You amaze me!

Mishelle Noyes said...

So do you hire out? Actually I need a whole new house so you'd be here a while :-) Great Job though! You amaze me!

Kris said...

Wow, that's a lot accomplished in one weekend. I'm impressed that you painted and got so much done. I bet the room looks awesome. I can't wait to see pictures. How sweet that Jacob was so appreciative. That's just awesome.

Jodie said...

I'm with Mishelle. Do you hire out? Boy could I use some of Kevin's carpentry skills!! Can't wait to see some pics!!

tharker said...

I can't believe how much you got done in those 2 short days! And I can't wait to see pictures!!!

Amy said...

Can't wait to see pictures!!! That's awesome!

MadMadameMim said...

so exciting, I can't wait to see the pictures.

dots said...

Wow!! Sounds like you really were busy! Post the pics!! Oh...and my book is going to be delivered tomorrow!! So, I will bring it Monday...I'm am so excited!!

Jodi said...

HGTV is addicting and they make every project look fast and easy. I think that's why we decided to replace all our flooring. Are you finished??? I need to do my boys rooms too.

AOlson said...

No, Jodi, we are not finished. It has been a week and a half since we started our little "two day" project. Sigh.