Wednesday, March 26, 2008

FREE

Leave it to a country song to get me thinking and make me feel mushy. It wasn't a song about a dog or a farmer or anything like that. I was driving home today from picking up Kayla at preschool and a song I believe called, "You're gonna miss this" came on one of the country radio stations. Yes, I love country music. So anyway, I hadn't heard this song and I started listening to the words.

It started out with a high school girl complaining about school and wishing she was 18 and couldn't wait for her life to start. Her mother tells her, "You're gonna miss this". I started thinking about high school. It was so much fun. I was a cheerleader, I hung out with the "in" crowd, I played softball and was really good, I got good grades, went to all the football and basketball games, Homecoming and Prom, bon fires, boyfriends. It was great. I was so FREE.

The second verse talked about the girl being a young bride. Her dad came over to visit her small, one bedroom apartment and he tells her it's a nice place. She says it'll do for now and starts talking about a bigger house and babies, etc. Her dad says, "You're gonna miss this". I reflected back to My and Kevin's first apartment in Kennewick. It was actually pretty nice. We ate a lot of hamburger helper and laughed a lot. Our dining room table was a card table and two lawn chairs. We had mismatched furniture that we bought at yard sales. There wasn't a lot of money, but we had each other. We would just decide on a Saturday morning to drive to Coure D'Alene and we would. Little road trips together on the weekends were so much fun, we were so FREE.

The last verse, if I remember right, talked about her water heater being broken and a repair man, I think, coming over to fix it. Kids were crying and fighting and the everydays of life were around her. She apologizes to the man for her kids and he tells her that they aren't bothering him at all. He has two children of his own that are grown up and gone now, "You're gonna miss this". (This is were I admittedly ALMOST started crying. I got that lump in my throat. You know what I mean, right.) I started thinking about now. Today. My home, my husband, my three kids, my church, My life. It's so great. We are always busy. Baseball and gymnastics. School and church callings. My house is sometimes clean. We order pizza. We laugh. We go to church as a family with no argument. We play games, we are so FREE. I miss the right now already and it's not even gone yet. I am truly happy and blessed to be able to recognize all the wonderful things I have right now. I am happy to live in the now and in no hurry to start another chapter (or verse) of my life.

Darn that country music!

8 Thoughts:

tharker said...

Yes, darn that country music! You just made me get all goosebumpy and the lump in now in my throat. Thank you for writing this Amy. I think I needed this little reminder today to treasure what I have RIGHT NOW. You are wonderful, and I adore your sweet little family.

P.S.
Josh and Hannah were teasing Jake yesterday saying that Kayla is his girlfriend. Well you know Jake. He piped right up and said, "Kayla's not my girlfriend, she's my cousin!!!" It made me laugh so hard, but I also thought it was so cute that he loves Kayla so much that he thinks of her as family!

AOlson said...

Oh Tiff! That is so sweet! I was subing in Joshs' class on Sunday and he asked me if I knew that Kayla was Jakes' girlfriend. I laughed and he grinned and that was it. What sweet boys you have. I really appreciate you and your family. Thank you.

Kate said...

I wouldnt mind hearing that song! It is completely true. I have to remind myself a lot (during ear infections, teething, tantrums, spilled milk) that these days wont always be here. Great, now I feeling mushy :)

Ms. Kristen said...

I haven't heard that song? You'll have to post the song!

I posted a comment on your last post! Take a look!

MadMadameMim said...

I love that song, it is a great one adn it totally gets me all teared up when I hear it. It's great to appreciate what we have right now.

Jan said...

Amy I loved this post so much. Your so wise to recognize now what you have. Your savoring the moments. That is the answer. Your family is so very blessed to have you as a mother. Your good busy and your lovin it. Thanks.

Debie Spurgeon said...

I do love the fact that you really can understand the message in country music. Cherish the now, thanks for the lovely reminder.

Lee said...

Oh that is so true. Those darn country songs. I still remember before you had kids.. and when you told me you were pg. WAY back when. Seriously I don't want my kids to grow up.