Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Back to school!!

I feel like I have been ready for a while now for school to start. I'll miss all of our summer activities and the lack of a schedule, but I won't miss all of the fighting and bickering and whining that has been in my house for about the past month. They needed to be back in school so they could miss each other a little bit and not fight so much I think.

Monday night for our FHE, Kevin took each child one at a time, including Kelsie, and gave them a back to school "interview". Each one lasted about 10-15 minutes. It was really quiet during Jacob's and Kayla's interviews and then there was lots of singing when it was Kelsie's turn. Way cute!! They each loved the one on one time that they had with their dad. They each received a blessing and that ended our night. It was very special.



On Tuesday night we got them in bed by 8:30, well Jacob and Kayla anyway, Kelsie is a night owl!! They each got one on one time with Kevin and I separately just to talk or say a prayer or read a book or two before bed. During my time with each one of them I started to get very emotional. Jake was reading me a Junie B. First Grader book and I just realized how grown up he is. We were reading a first day of school book with Kayla and it just HIT me HARD, that she was starting Kindergarten. I held it together.



We got up this morning and got ready had breakfast, all very smooth. Got Jacob to school and into his classroom. I snapped a few pictures and I just couldn't leave. He kept looking at me like, "Okay Mom, you can go now." I remembered that they were serving doughnuts and orange juice out front (THANK YOU PTO) so I turned around and headed out. I held it together though. I got home and got Kayla in the bath tub, we picked out her first day of school outfit, combed her hair, and waited. I was in no hurry but Kayla was so impatient. She has afternoon kindergarten. Finally, the time came and we went back up to the school knowing very well she would only be there for one hour and ten minutes because of Wednesday early release. We got her into class and I curiously watched her as she interacted with her new school friends and teacher. About ten minutes later Senora Hannan says, "Adios" and waves at the parents who were still lingering in the classroom. So I grabbed Kelsie by the hand, waved good bye to Kayla and left. I SO did not hold it together. I sulked to my car and drove the two blocks home and called my Mom in tears telling her I had just dropped Kayla off at her first day (or hour) of kindergarten. Am I a wimp or what? Kelsie asked where Kayla was the entire hour she was gone. This didn't help. It was finally time to go pick them up and I was feeling fine. Let's hope we don't have a repeat of this tomorrow when she is in school for 3 hours!



Not that I was less emotional about Jacob, but he is in second grade now. I was waaay emotional when he started kindergarten. I am very excited for both of my kids to start a new school year and to see what fun things Kelsie and I will do together when we are alone.



8 Thoughts:

Kate said...

oh how exciting! They looked adorable :)
I love the idea of the back to school interview, what a neat idea!

Jan said...

Loving the little Jacob picture. Warms my heart. He is getting to big. And your other little ones are just as beautiful as you Amy. Hope they all had a good first couple of days. :) Interviewing is a great thing. Brilliant.

Terilyn said...

I can't believe they are so big! Mykie can't either! Kayla in Kindergarten? Kelsie asking about her! Where have I been?
Oh yeah, Kennewick - a dreaded 15 terribly, long MINUTES away.
They are so CUTE!

Debie Spurgeon said...

First day of kindergarten is the most emotional school day for me, until the first day of middle school. That was tough.

That is so sweet that Kelsey missed Kayla.

tharker said...

How stinkin' cute are your kids Amy???

By the way, does Kayla know that you borrowed her leggings Saturday night? heehee ;) Just had to play off of your dear husband's comments to ya!

Jodi said...

Cute pictures Amy! And I agree with Debie - the 1st day of kindergarten is a tough day. And next year I'll have a 1st day of kindergarten AND a 1st day of middle school. Hopefully I'll make it through. ;)

Nicole said...

Totally random - but where did you get Kayla's shoes??? They look like the ones I've been coveting for Zoe. Help a girl out. PLEASE!

Anonymous said...

love her to stop at my house on her way home, let me get her panties off and teach her things she will never learn in school