Wednesday, December 16, 2009

All I want for Christmas is My FIRST Haircut

Yes, it's true. Kelsie is 3 years old and had her very first haircut ever yesterday. Kelsie is well known for her beautiful, curly hair with ringlets that go on for days. I love her hair - except for every morning that I have to tame her fro from all of the tangles of her bedhead. I should buy stock in the Suave Detangler Spray, but Kelsie is a champ. She sits there everyday and lets me do whatever I want to her hair. Some days I don't hear a peep from her as I am combing out her locks, other days she peeps a lots. I decided in recent weeks that it is time for a knew do for Kelsie. Nothing drastic, just trim off all of her uneven baby hair and update her look. Kelsie, however, was not on board with my plan. She would simply just tell me NO when I would suggest a haircut. Fine.
Last Thursday, Kelsie and I were driving around town on errands and she said to me, out of the blue, "Mommy, it's time for my haircut." Really? I told her that I thought that was a great idea, only problem was she wanted to go RIGHT NOW and that wasn't on my scheduled day. I convinced her to wait a few more days and she agreed. Yesterday, was THE day.

I really wanted to take her to a friend of mine who is a FABULOUS hairstylist, but Kayla had told Kelsie about Monkee Dooz and Kelsie's mind and heart were made up. She was very excited to go there. On the drive there she says to me, "Can we go there later, not right now?" I told her we had to go now because we had an appointment. I could tell she was nervous. This is a picture of Kelsie waiting for her turn. She was happy and smiley. That all changed VERY QUICKLY.

Here she is as they are laying her down to get her hair washed. She was so apprehensive and nervous. Her whole body stiffened up and there were no more smiles and giggles.

They asked her what kind of shampoo she wanted. Chocolate, Raspberry, Orange, Blueberry, Coconut, Bubblegum, WOW! No response from Kelsie. She would not speak. She would only shake her head yes or no at me. She chose Raspberry.


She was happy when that was over, but still no smiles or any reactions at all. Stiff and still.


She was pretty excited about the Barbie Jeep she got to sit in. She really liked the penguins on the cape she was wearing. Isn't she so cute, even with no emotion.


These WERE her beautiful curls. It was SO long. It stretched right down to the top of her bum. I was sad and excited both. When the hairstylist asked me how short I wanted it I asked her to go to her shoulder blades. She informed me that would be about SIX INCHES!! WHAT!? That kinda freaked me out so I changed my mind. How about 3 inches. Sounds good.


This was the first snip, getting rid of her baby hair. ((TEAR))


Here, I am holding 3 inches of curl and showing it to Kelsie. She obviously is NOT amused.



I asked for a little bit of layers to give her a little bit of volume.


Remember, this was Kelsie's idea and she looks like someone just broke her heart.


I wonder what she is thinking here? My little baby, growing up right before my eyes.


TADA!!! This is the finished result. I told you it was nothing drastic, but it was enough for Kelsie and me, too. She still has some curl left, but I fear, the more haircuts she gets, the more curl we cut off and then I will not have those long beautiful ringlets anymore. It's pretty much growing in wavy, not curly.


They finished her off with a cute Topsy-tail and some sparkles, but not even those would make her smile. Don't you just LOVE that face!! Of course, after we left and met daddy for lunch, she was all smiles and giggles again. She told everyone about her FUN haircut. Her version of the story is a little different than what I witnessed, but that was her take on it I guess. She did admit to Kayla that it was a little scary but then she said she can't wait to do it again. Not for a long while Kelsie. She was flipping her hair around all night long, it was so cute to watch. I hope now that combing and styling her hair everyday won't be such a chore for either one of us.

9 Thoughts:

Chelsea said...

Great post!

Jodie said...

That looks like an awesome place for kids! Hopefully, it will get easier and easier for Kelsie the more times she goes.

Kris said...

So Cute. A little girl's first haircut is always so fun! I love it!

Cox Family News said...

Oh Kelsie - your hair looks so cute. I love it.
Love, Grandma Lorrie

Shellie said...

It looks great. She is such a beautiful girl. Hopefully the peeping is now mostly eliminated!

vwbabe said...

Super cute post. Loved all the pictures. It is hard to cut hair, but I am glad she had a good experience.

PRP said...

She is so gorgeous, stoic face and all!

ab5cgang said...

Oh. I remember Courtney's curls. But very funny post. She didnt look like she liked it at all. But love how she was excited to tell daddy.

tharker said...

I love these pictures. Sweet Kelsie!