Thursday, December 3, 2009

Can you FEEL IT?

I can, and I really needed to. I'm talking about Christmas and the wonderful spirit and feeling that it brings with it. After Thanksgiving, none of us could wait to get out our Christmas decor and spread it through out the house. There was only one problem - The Tree. For the past three years we have used an artificial tree and it worked out just fine. Some people have very strong feelings of fake vs. real, but for me it's always kind of been whatever is easiest for that year. Our little artificial tree has been great and served it's purpose and was beautiful every year. This year however, I needed something more, and I KNEW it started with the tree. I know that this year I need to feel ALL of the spirit of Christmas, the real Christmas not the commercial one. We headed out to the local nursery on RD 68 as a family in search of the PERFECT tree for us. We each had an idea of what we wanted. Kelsie even took a picture form an ad in Sunday's paper to make sure we got the right one. The man at the nursery was so nice and helpful and I could tell that he knew how important this was to all of us. He showed us the different trees on the lot and each one was either too small, too big, had a bald spot, too skinny. It was cute to watch the kids walk from tree to tree and form their opinion, Kelsie with her picture in hand comparing each one. It took all of about 20 minutes, and there it was. Everyone ooooed and awwwed because we had found our tree. It was so exciting! We loaded it up in the truck and took her home. Once we got home we found that our perfect tree fit perfectly in our front window and it was time to start the trimming of the tree. One small problem - NO LIGHTS. You see, our artificial tree came pre-lit so we had no lights for our tree. Kevin and I run off to Wal-Mart and found lights and a new tree topper, rushed home and then started the decorating. We had such a good time! Kelsie was just so giddy and giggly I couldn't help but smile the entire night. My mom helped me find the right spots to display Christmas splendor throughout the house. It was great! Since Monday, I have loved the feeling in our home, I hope it lasts all of December and well into the new year. I love it all!
  • Christmas music playing 24/7 in the house and car. There is no way you can feel anything but happy when you have Christmas music playing. Love it!
  • Frosty, cold weather that makes you break out the gloves, hats and scarves. I even had to scrape my windshield before taking Kayla to school this morning - and I enjoyed it!!
  • Singing Christmas Hymns in church on Sunday. I can't sing, and I try not too sing too loud on any normal Sunday, but this month I will sing out loud, so I apologize in advance to any of you sitting within earshot of me.
  • Kelsie woke up the morning after we decorated the house and saw me putting the tubs away and screamed in protest because she thought I was going to put everything away. I assured her I wasn't and she was okay. Every morning she runs into the front room to check on the tree.
  • Whether it is politically correct or not, I will be wishing everyone a MERRY CHRISTMAS.
  • The SCENT of Christmas. Cinnamon, evergreens, peppermint. It also helps that I have all of my Scentsy warmers going and it smells oh so amazing in here!! If you need some, come visit me, I have a few on hand.
  • Baking! Good thing I lost a little weight before now because I am pretty sure it's all coming back. My mom and I have decided to make tamales as a Christmas treat for ourselves and for those friends that we love.
  • Basketball. Yes, I said basketball. I absolutely LOVE to watch a good college basketball game with my husband and it all starts in December. Last nights Zags victory over WSU had Kevin beaming!! We think WSU is great, as long as they are not playing against Gonzaga. Kevin is a die hard Zags fan and has been for years and years.
  • We've scaled back on the gifts this year and we are very happy about it. The kids are on board with our plans for service and giving and we have been feeling that little something extra in our hearts.
  • I am going to try and be more Christlike. Be forgiving and patient. For me, this is a challenge, after all I am still human and a very stubborn one. I am trying to love those who offend me and try not to let other people bring me down. I choose to love and be happy.

I hope you feel that same thing in the air that I do. It fills up my heart and makes me smile.

11 Thoughts:

Heather said...

Love it, too!

I'm finding less really is more, unless it's family time. Then the more the merrier!

Heather said...

Ok, rude maybe... but I want to learn to make tamales. Can I home help? I promise I won't even eat ONE. I'll just work. :)

PRP said...

I'm gonna have to stop by and see your beautiful home. I'm sure it looks fantastic!

Merry Christmas Amy!

Chad and Jaycie said...

Political correctness chaps my bum, so I'm with you! I've decided to wish everyone a Merry Christmas in hopes of disturbing the stinkers out there. I wished a Target worker Merry Christmas and he said it back real loud, it was great!!! :)

::lindsay said...

I'm so hoping I'm one of those friends gifted with some yummy tamales. If I'm not, this is me officially begging.

Your house looked really nice by the way!

ab5cgang said...

Merry Christmas Amy. Love your post.

vwbabe said...

I too hope that I am gifted with Tamales, but I am also like Heather, I want to LEARN. Your mom HAS to teach us. I am so happy that you feel it, I do too. My heart is swelling with the love right now! Come over and we will make some Christmas goodies!

Todd and Shana said...

I feel it too Amy! It has really brought me out of whatever slump I was in. My house isn't completely decked out yet, but I'm working on it, and the baking bug has hit BIG TIME! Oh, and I'll be wishing everyone a MERRY CHRISTMAS as well! :)

Kris said...

I loved this post Amy. I wish I could hear you belting out the Christmas hymns on Sundays! So funny! I too will wish everyone a Merry Christmas! Hope you enjoy your Month! OH and we need to get the girls (and the boys)together. Maybe before Christmas??

Mishelle Noyes said...

Ya loosing a job before Christmas isn't fun! It did put a damper on things, at least the materialistic side of Christmas. So I had to dig deeeeep inside myself and pull out the kid in me to realize the reason for the Season.

Melanie said...

I do hope you post a picture of your beautiful tree! I love that Kelsie checks on it every morning! That kind of excitement fuels the feeling:) Merry Christmas!!!