Tuesday, May 13, 2008

My "Crappy" Mother's Day

I hope you all had a SUPER Great Mother's Day weekend, and by reading some of your blogs it sounds like you did. We went to Warden/Moses Lake for the weekend. Every time we go to Warden for any occasion, we usually come home with a story to tell. This time was no different.

Since we were leaving for the weekend my wonderful little family showered me with gifts on Friday night.



These are the gifts Jacob and Kayla made me at school. Jacob painted a ceramic watering pot with Tootsie pop suckers inside to look like flowers. Very cute. Kayla give me a dish towel with her hand print and name and year on it along with a sweet little poem.

The Grand Daddy of them all came when Kevin gave me his gift.





Ta Da!! I know many of you already have a stand mixer of some sort, but this is my first one and I was so excited!! I have been wanting one for a very long time. It's so pretty and it works really well, too. Now I can finally make full batches of cinnamon rolls and breads and cookies instead of having to cut all of the recipes in half. I have used it a lot already. First we made peanut butter cookies, then we made a full batch of cinnamon rolls. Yum, yum.

On Saturday, Jacob had a baseball game and then we drove to Warden after that. We spent most of the afternoon watching Kevin fix up his demo race car, then we headed over to his brothers' house in Moses Lake for a barbecue. It was nice to gather with all of Kevin's family, we don't get to see them very often.

Then came Sunday. I was so excited for church because I always love the little surprises they have in store for the mom's and I can usually bet on watching my children sing and me getting all choked up an teary. Sacrament starts at 9:30 so I was up an in the shower at about sevenish. I noticed that the drain in the shower was very slow and I had water around my ankles, but no big deal right, it's an older home. Kayla cam in to use the potty and she says, "Mom there is no water in the toilet,". I tell her to go ahead and go potty and by this time I am out of the shower. She flushes the toilet and, you guessed it, there is water everywhere. We yell for Kevin to come in and we can all hear this really weird noise in the walls coming from the pipes. Well, lo and behold, the sewer backed up into the shower downstairs, thank goodness we were showering upstairs!! It was gross!! The house got all stinky and Kevin and his dad had to go fix the problem. No one but me was able to shower.

I kept thinking "They'll get it fixed in a second" but they didn't. We had to miss church. I missed the singing and all of the little Mother's Day perks, I was sad. My mother-in-law started to get a little panicky because the family was coming over after church for lunch/dinner and we had no bathroom and we couldn't run the water. Kevin's brother texted us from church asking were we all were. At about noon they finally unclogged the sewer, everyone was able to take showers and we had our Mother's Day Lunch/Dinner. Everyone kept apologizing to each other for missing church, especially the men, but it was no ones fault, it just happened right.

We came home to Pasco that night and I was feeling a little bummed out for having missed church even though we had a really good time the rest of the day visiting with everyone and watching all of the cousins play together. When we came home, Kevin picked up our Sunday paper and put it on the counter. Attached to it was a card. Kevin makes some smart remark about me and the "paperboy" and then I opened it. It was a lovely little book called Blessings on the Hand of Women by Boyd K. Packer. Inside the book it said, "Happy Mother's Day. We love you. Pasco 9th Ward" I was so touched. I only told two people that we would be out of town so I was surprised to see that someone noticed we were not there. I got my little Mother's Day surprise. I meant so much to me that our ward family was looking out for us and someone knew that I would really appreciate this little gift. Thank you to that person.

10 Thoughts:

Jodi said...

How exciting Amy - I love my mixer!! And I love the little gifts from your children. Now about Sunday morning...YIKES! I can't even imagine going through that. YUCK! But at least you got your Mother's Day lunch/dinner, the cousins got to play, and you had a thoughtful 9th warder that remembered you! :)

Heather said...

Hey, you got a shower too!! That mixer is so beautiful... love the red!

Jan said...

Mix me up some bread Amy. I love it. The color is so you. Vibrant.
Sorry about that yucky situation though. Not fun at all. And your ward really is a family. How nice. Next year will be better.

Jodi said...

Oh Jan - I thought you would've said, "next year will be bAtter." ;)

Ms. Kristen said...

Hey...the very same thing happened when we stayed at my inlaws house...the spetic tank was plugged! So....we had to rent a hotel room! It took them two days to fix it! Anyway....I missed your kids on Sunday and will look forward to seeing them this Sunday!

tharker said...

Hooray for the Kitchen Aid! I've been wondering ever since our conversation last week if you would get one. Yay for you!!!!

The crappy story is pretty crappy but also pretty darn funny!

Isn't that little book from the bishopric just fantastic? I loved it too. I did miss sitting by you in R.S. on Sunday ;)

naturaljoy said...

I so want a kitchenaid! That's great!

Debie Spurgeon said...

Enjoy your new mixer, I can totally relate about getting so excited about that: I love mine. The red is gorgeous.

Kris said...

Amy, I'm glad that you stopped over on my blog. It will be fun to learn all about the Olsen Family! I have a Kitchen Aid and I LOVE it. I wish mine was red. It looks great. That's so fun that you were able to go see your in-laws. The Sunday event, will be a very memorable Mother's Day. I'm glad that your ward noticed you were gone. That's so sweet! T-ball was freezing tonight. Where's the warm weather?

Jodie said...

I am so jealous! I love your new mixer and we were sorry to not see you guys on Sunday at church. Anyways, I'm glad that you ended up having a wonderful mother's day!