Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Not Seeing Clearly

This is me being shallow.
Most of you by now know that our children recently were testing at school in hearing and vision. I didn't give it much thought at all. I knew it was going to be done. I had it done as a child in elementary school. Jacob has had it done every year since he started school. No big deal. It's not one of those things that you stress about or that keeps you awake at night, at least I didn't think so until yesterday.
I picked up my mail yesterday at about three o'clock and came home. Kevin happened to be here because we are slackers as parents this Halloween and we hadn't yet gone to the pumpkin patch. We decided to go yesterday when the kids got out of school. As we were waiting for them to get home, they now have earned the privilege of walking home together, I started opening our mail. I noticed a white envelope with the PSD logo on it addressed to The Parents of Kayla Olson. My mind started sifting through conversations that Kayla and I have had to see if I could figure out what was inside the envelope. I don't recall her telling me about getting into any trouble, that's just not Kayla. She doesn't have a lunch account, her library book was returned and she checked out another one, she's had all of her shots, she's not sick, hmmmm, what could it be. Then I open it and read, "Dear Parent: ... After failing a second screening, the school nurse recommends that your child have a professional eye examination." Amy's face goes blank. I'm thinking, "What?" Kevin asks what it says and I show him. He reads it, says, "Hmm" and puts the letter down. That's it. Why isn't he freaking out like I am in my mind. I must have had another look on my face. He says, "What, it's no big deal." Then I start in, she hasn't ever complained of headaches or not being able to see/read when we read books together. She never gave me any indications that something might be wrong with her eyes.
I tried not to make a big deal about it when she got home. I asked her if she could see the chalkboard or the overhead projector okay at school. She said yes. I asked her if her head ever hurt when she read books, she said no. So I am thinking, the nurse must be wrong, right? Jacob and Kayla started talking about the hearing and vision screenings that they had. They talked about the beeping they heard and having to raise their hands when they heard the sound. They talked about the vision test and Jacob said it was so easy and Kayla said it was hard at the very bottom, the letters were too small, hmmmmm.
I don't know. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with wearing glasses. As a matter of fact I like the way people look in glasses. My middle sister, Lisa, wears glasses and I think she looks so cute. My mom wears glasses and so does my mother-in-law. I have seen lots of little kids with glasses and I always think they look so cute in their little glasses. Isn't Ms. Palin setting some sort of new trend with her glasses? As a junior high kid I actually had my mom buy me the fake glasses with no prescription in them because I wanted to wear glasses. I'm a dork right. So why am I freaking out about this? I kept staring at Kayla for the rest of the night. She is so beautiful. Not that wearing glasses would make her less beautiful, I just don't want the glasses to get in the way of her beautiful eyes and amazing features. I just can't picture her in glasses. I don't even know if she needs glasses. I am just jumping to conclusions and freaking out with out even knowing for sure if anything is really wrong with her eyes.
So I will be making an appointment to see the eye doctor soon. Kayla has no idea that we got a letter home or anything. This is just me being shallow and not wanting to have to buy my daughter glasses. I guess she can wear contacts when she gets older, right!?

8 Thoughts:

dots said...

I totally know what you mean!! I have HORRIBLE eyes and so, am stuck with contacts forever...I don't even qualify for Lasik...and then Kaylee comes home with her note...she's inherited my eyes :( We are looking into getting her contacts as well as some experimental things to slow down her eye changes...she's been getting new glasses every 10m!! I havne't gotten any notes yet this year about my other two...but I too would be sad if I had to put them into glasses...and Kaylee will usually exclaim (when she gets a new pair of glasses)..."Everything is SO CLEAR!!"...btw...I test them from the back of the chapel to see if they can see the hymn numbers up front...or if they can read the time from the back of the van...or if they can read the small print on the TV sitting from the couch...I feel your pain...

Kris said...

It's hard hearing that kind of news. Especially since you had no indication of this. You have every reason to be freaking out. I bet after you go see the Dr. you'll feel better about the situation and get another opinion! Maybe she just will need reading glasses. Good Luck!

polka dots said...

I'm lauging because Kevin has no reaction to the news. Sounds just like my husband!

Amy said...

How sad! I'm blind as a bat, and the saddest part is, I didn't even know I was blind until I got glasses. I just thought teachers wrote WAY too small on the board, and that EVERYONE saw everything fuzzy!

MadMadameMim said...

It is just hard to think that your kids aren't perfect, and that there is something they will have to deal with their whole lives. It's hard, I know. Plus it might change the little face you stare at everyday if she wears glasses.
Sometimes they just don't know there is something wrong. My brother specifically used to think you should be able to see leaves on a tree, just a mass of green. Sometimes they don't know when they haven't ever seen differently.

AOlson said...

I think I will feel better once we see a doctor. Thanks Kris, Amy & Tiff.

Dots - Thanks for the tip about reading the hymn numbers from the back of the chapel. Since we always sit back there anyway, this will be a good little test. I hadn't thought of that, Thanks.

polka dots - Yeah, no reaction at all. The funny thing is that our husbands are HT partners, I wonder how that works:)

Cox Family News said...

I'm sorry but this may also be the Olson side coming out in her.
Except we didn't need glasses till we were old. But Kayla will look cute in glasses or not.
Love, Grandma Olson

meand4boyz said...

I am not laughing at you, but i haven't seen you in years and can TOTALLY see this freak out session. I can even hear the tone of your voice as I read. And Kevin's reaction is SO totally Kevin. So funny!! I hated wearing glasses at first and now I LOVE it. I splurged on the Oakley pink frames so it makes it all better. There are so many cute frames you could get if she needs them. If she has to just make a big deal about how cute she looks. My brother started wearing glasses at 6 and he looked SO cute. It will be ok.